Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Arts and Crafts



Well today was my attempt at being crafty. I was starting to feel like I needed a hobby so I decided to go to Jo-Anne's craft store and find some thing to do. They are having a sale on kids fabrics so I got a yard of curious george material and made a standard pillow case for Gavin. I sewed it by hand so it took a couple of hours but it was nice and relaxing. Then my friend across the street gave me a bag of random things that she said she would never use- A Beadazzler (so 1980s), a Candle Maker, and a stamp/laminating machine. We beadazzled some of my denim overalls and random things around the house, and I made a candle. I also got corn starch and corn syrup and a few other odds and ends so we can do some toddler crafts later this week. My hope is to do one craft a week. I would like to do more than that but it gets pricey buying all the materials and setting everything up. I never realized I could make my own chalk, finger paint, and bubbles at home. I don't know if it will be worth all the trouble, but at least I can try it out and see.


Gavin loves to help me cook in the kitchen so this morning I let him crack the eggs into the frying pan and then stir them. I let him use our little hand held blinder when I make mashed potatoes and he LOVES IT! I forget sometimes that little everyday tasks are so much more interesting to him, and he really gets a kick out of feeling like he's helped. Why is it always so easy to reflect on the day after it's over? Sometimes I look back at the day and wish instead of getting upset or raising my voice that I had just kissed him a little more, or shown more compassion.

2 comments:

Tonya Staab said...

How fun. I love a day of crafting.

Sonya said...

Love the idea of a day of crafting...but I want to see pictures of the bedazzled overalls! :)

That is awesome that he loves to help cook!!! It will pay off later in life if he keeps it up!!

Take Care,
Sonya