
Somehow over the last two years Gavin has aquired my sweet tooth. I tried very hard in the beginning to avoid anything sweet but slowly over time I allowed cookies. After cookies he tried brownies, and it progressed... I don't have sweets in the house every day mind you, but I am shocked to tell you he knows what a candy bar is! I rarely get candy bars, and I tend to hide them away until just before bed. Today I bought a snickers at Ralphs for 33 cents (I just couldn't beat the price, at least that's what I tell myself). I got home in a rush and unloaded groceries layed the Snickers bar on the kitchen counter and forgot about it. Hours later after we had finished dinner, and we were watching Blue's Clue's, he brings the Snickers bar over to me.
I opened it up and said he could have one bite. You should have seen how large his mouth got for that one bite! I ate the rest of the bar pretty quickly as he munched away on his peanut and caramely goodness. I don't mind that he likes chocolate but I also feel slightly guilty. I don't want to teach him bad eating habits at such a young age, and I don't want him to get cavaties from eating too much sugar. Am I over-reacting?
To add another story that was even worse. A few days ago I was going in the fridge to pull out some food for dinner and Gavin grabbed the whipped cream out of the door. I had never given him any whipped cream so I had no idea how he knew what it was. I come to find out that my Mother-In-Law had shown him how she squirts it into her mouth and had given him a taste of it. I am not upset since it isn't like poison and again he doesn't get it from me, but what if he decides that's all he wants to eat?
He doesn't like ice cream or cake, and he refuses jelly or other artifically flavored sweets but when it comes to anything chocolate or whipped cream, he loves it. I guess it's all about balance and making sure he eats veggies and other healthy foods the majority of the time. I just have to hope that the occasional chocolate won't turn into a nightmare in the future. So, for now I get his toothbrush, and brush away each night, in hopes that I can fight off those cavaties.

3 comments:
Nice Blog Jen,
I will keep checking it regularly.
:-)
That's so cute about the candy bar. I think as you said... you give it to him at times as treats and as long as his meals are healthy, no biggie! :) He looked sooo cute in the picture too!
Michelle
my little bugs have developed my sweet tooth too. That's so cute that he brought the Snickers over to you.
Post a Comment