Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sick Toddler AHHH!

So Gavin started getting sick over a week ago. It started with a runny nose and his eyes were tearing up all day. I took him to the Doctor because he was also having a fever and was grabbing at his head like it hurt. I really felt he had a sinus infection but I took him in too early and was told to wait a few more days and see what happens.

I ended up leaving town Friday until Saturday night with my husband so my MIL was taking care of Gavin. When I get home I find out he's gotten much worse and he is all gunky and gooey. His eyes are crusty and he's crying in pain and pulling on his left ear. Sunday morning I take him straight to Urgent Care where he is given antibiotics for an ear and sinus infection. I give him his first dosage and Monday morning we wake up to his back covered in hives. I call the after hours nurse hotline and she goes through a series of questions and determines that it's not an allergic reaction and to give him his next dose and see his Doctor for a follow up. His rash after about an hour had vanished so I assumed he was better and trusted the nurse that it was just a rash due to his virus. I give him another dose that afternoon. Within two hours of the next dose he breaks out in hives again but this time much worse! He starts scratching at the blotches and this time it's on his face and legs too! Fast forward to today.

The PB Urgent Care Nurse called and ended up calling in a new antibiotic but his own Doctor wanted to see him this morning at 10am so I held off giving him anything else until I talked to his Dr. Well he changed the antibiotic to something else that was more common and Gavin is now diagnosed allergic to Zithromax and all other related drugs in that category. I have now been to Longs Pharmacy 4 times and picked up three different antibiotics. It freaks me out that he had an allergic reaction and it scares me even more that I'm having to start a new one today. I just gave Gavin his first dose of Omnicef and praying that it doesn't react with the Zithromax that may still be in his system (I guess there's a chance they may react with each other).

Besides the drama of what to give him and what not to give him Gavin has been so difficult! I know he feels terrible but every little thing is causing him to throw fits of rage and scream. He has hit me and thrown things at me, acting in ways I have never seen before. I am really worried to see him acting out so much. I just can't believe how long he has been sick and that instead of getting better he seems to be acting worse. We have tried staying inside the majority of the week so I think I am going stir crazy. Next time you see Curious George on TV just think of me and how I am probably watching the Curious George movie for the hundredth time. That movie seems to be the only thing that makes Gavin laugh these days.

Any suggestions on dealing with a toddler that has an ear infection and major sinus issues? Should I just ignore the bad behavior and chalk it up to his being sick? I feel terrible putting him in time outs and yelling at him so much when I know it's mostly due to his not feeling well. Thanks!

No comments: