Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Little Stressed

Well my week hasn't been the best one but it may be because I'm stressing a bit about my breast surgery tomorrow morning. I am having a left breast biopsy at Scripps Green Hospital. I keep telling myself it is only an hour long procedure and I will be home by noon, so it can't be that bad. I think what scares me the most is having a 20% chance that it might be cancer or something serious. I hate having to wait and not know what is going to happen, the anticipation is driving me nuts. I don't think it will be cancer or anything serious, but just having that thought in the back of my mind.. what if?... is what bothers me.

On Tuesday I spent the afternoon at Urgent Care only to be told I needed to go to the ER for further testing. I was having terrible upper back pain and a tight burning feeling in my stomach. The pain lasted for a few days and was getting worse so I decided to get it checked out. At PB Urgent Care the Dr. told me she thought it was gallstones or something to do with my gallbladder and that I should go to the ER to get an ultrasound done and determine what the problem is. SO after waiting for 2 hours at Urgent Care I went to Sharp ER and waited a total of 6 hours before I finally got to see a Doctor. During the 6 hour wait I got blood work taken and an ultrasound of my gallbladder done. In the end, thank God, it was not my gallbladder or gallstones. I had severe stomach acid which could have been caused by a possible ulcer, GERD, or who knows what else. I have had heartburn before and it had never felt like what that, but they had ruled out anything worse so I had to leave not knowing what to do next. I decided to try Pepcid AC since Tums had no affect on the pain. Pepcid AC did the trick! Now I feel dumb for spending an entire day at the ER and being so stressed out, just to find out it was stomach acid! I honestly did not know it could last all day long (for that many days) and cause so much back pain. I guess I have my pregnancy to thank or maybe the stress of my surgery and other family issues compiled with it. Now I get to look forward to more medical bills besides the cost of the surgery, yippee!

I hate to only have negative things to say so I will add a few good things about this week to balance it all out. Today I feel much better and more like my happy-self. Jon spent the entire day yesterday cleaning the apartment and making me feel relaxed and very loved. Gavin has been more vocal and learns new things every day, it's so amazing to watch him grow up. I have very supportive family and friends and I am thankful for all their love and help. AND I'm very glad it wasn't gallstones because that would have required surgery and I think I would have had a mental breakdown if I had to have gallbladder surgery and breast surgery all at once.

After this week is over I can't wait to sigh in relief and be thankful that I don't have cancer. (I am being optimistic). I mean 2 out of 10 is pretty good odds in my favor. Wish my luck!! I will let you all know how it goes. I hope it won't be too long before I get the pathology results. What seems strange to me is that due to my pregnancy the surgeon said she is only going to use local anaesthesia (normally they would make me groggy and out of it with general anaesthesia). I really don't like the idea of being fully alert while being cut open. I guess I just have to trust the Doctor and maybe they can give my a Valium if I start to freak out. :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I called yesterday, but I'm sure you have been totally stressing. I hope that it went well and that you are resting now. I was thinking to call today, but I know you might be resting and I don't want to disturb, so give me a call when you are up to it and let me know how you are doing! *hugs*