Saturday, May 3, 2008

Finger Painting



Yesterday Gavin had a blast finger painting with our neighbor Bailey. I put out some cheap brown paper and had tons of finger paints and sidewalk paint with rollers and paint brushes. It was so much fun! I think I enjoyed it more than they did (since they don't really understand what painting is yet). My neighbor had a water trough so when they got bored of painting they ended up splashing around in the water and throwing rocks into it. I love doing messy art projects and letting Gavin just go for it (of course the paint washes off very easily so it ends up not being that messy).

Gavin discovered that he could crawl under the paper and hide from Bailey, so it was very cute to watch them play hide and seek with each other. They don't really play together yet but parallel play is still nice for them. Another recent thing that Gavin has learned to do, not sure where he learned it from, is to stuff things that he wants to carry with him into his diaper. When we are at the beach he will shove shells down his diaper and I will find them later when I change him. He has tried keeping my cell phone, rocks, and change. One time I found a bunch of pennies and dimes in his diaper. My husband said he used to collect things when he was younger and that it just means Gavin is trying to store his own items away and protect them. I think it is very cute but I wonder if having rocks in your underwear would be all that comfortable? Sometimes, like with the cell phone, he will just get it half way down and the other half will stick out the top, as if he's carrying it around in a belt loop. I love the pride he gets on his face when he accomplishes this task. It is so neat to see each day as he learns new ways to do things on his own. More and more he pushes me away and trys to do things by himself. It's astonishing that 2 year-olds have such desire to be independent.

At the moment he is watching... you guessed it? Curious George, while playing with play-doh on the hard wood floor. I try to hide the play-doh and take it out just for special occasions so he won't get bored with it. I also don't like having to pick up all the tiny pieces that he tears apart and gets all over himself. I dreamed last night that he was talking and using the potty by himself. I hope that is a good sign of what's ahead. I don't care too much about potty training, as I know he will get it one day, and I don't want to push him too much. His speech therapy hasn't started yet but I keep thinking that just like everything else, he will talk when he is ready. He was late to walk and he'll be late to talk. BUT what is late? Does a few months or 6 months really make a huge difference in his entire life? Nope. Every child is different and has their strengths and weaknesses, that's what makes us all unique.

No comments: